Steinway & Sons was established in 1853 in Manhattan by a German piano builder named Heinrich Engelhard. Steinway has since become well known for producing and inventing new techniques ever since they started the business. Today, they are arguably one of the best piano manufacturers in the world.
This particular piano, serial number 8592, was made in circa 1864. It is a Model D Concert Grand. At 8' 11¾" (274 cm) in length, this musical instrument is often used at large concert performances. In fact, the Juilliard School has many practice rooms, concert halls, and studios that are equipped with Steinways. Today, Steinway & Sons have opened up in London, Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, and Chicago.
The art case cabinet features rare figured Brazilian Rosewood – a wood that is no longer in use in the piano industry today due to its endangered status. Steinway eventually ceased the ‘regular’ production of Rosewood grand pianos in 1890 and moved them to special order only. However, since the piano was manufactured before 1970, it can be exported with a CITES certificate.
The grand piano is an overstrung design, in which the bass strings pass over the treble strings. On December 20, 1859, Patent #26532 was granted to Henry Steinway Jr. for the Overstung Plate, whereby the longer bass strings were drawn over sections of other strings. Throughout history, the overstrung grand frame piano is considered to be one of the most important developments since the invention of the piano. The Overstring design gives longer bass strings providing richer sounding, truer bass notes as well as a sturdier construction. "