Born in 1902, Ramendranath Chakravorty’s formal art education began at the Government School of Art in 1919. After two years he left Calcutta and joined the newly founded Kala Bhavan, Santiniketan in 1921.
Ramendranath later joined Government School of Arts, Calcutta, as the Head Assistant Teacher in 1929, during the principal-ship of Mukul Dey. He introduced the Graphics Department in 1943. He played the role of a pioneer in his bid to popularise prints and printmaking. In 1937 Ramendranath travelled to London for higher studies in painting at Slade School of Art, London and the following year had a solo show in London.